Sunday 8 March 2015

That's better ....

.... I put my latest quilt on the frame and asked Big Bertha to do her best with it, using a lilac/purple variegated thread.  I knew after about an inch that the thread was too dark, but kept going for about half a row before I listened to myself and stopped, undid the purple and started again with white. Before undoing it, Mr Fixit happened to wander past and asked why I'd stopped.  I told him I was unsure about the thread and asked if he thought it was too dark too. He did.  (I was a bit surprised, as usually he makes some fairly non-committal comment when his opinion is asked for -  I think he feels that discretion is the better part of valour!) so out came the seam ripper, out came the purple thread, and off we went with white. Much better.

Yesterday Scrappy and I had a fun day at the Yorkshire Modern Quilt Guild day.  Scrappy finished a quilt.  This was her first attempt at FM quilting and the quilt looks great.  It only took her two weeks from starting the quilt in a workshop run by QuiltHaze from Cotton Cocktails to finish.  

While Scrappy was busy finishing her binding and burying the ends on her quilt, I made some more blocks for our joint quilt.  We've now almost finished making the blocks, and here they are on my design wall. This picture was taken under electric light, and the colours are much more vivid in real life. I think they are just GORGEOUS, even though there are rather more than four fabrics in there!

11 comments:

  1. I like your circle quilting! Scrappy's quilt is wonderful too. Has she used that orange scrap from your challenge? Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And who is it who thinks she can't do scrappy? I know better, now don't I?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great ... I hate it when I don't listen to myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really hate when I think something is not right - but continue on hoping I'm wrong. Good that you just bit the bullet and ripped it out. Now you can be happy with it. All the quilts are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boy I like your joint quilt even more that I already did! I thought it looked like all solids until I clicked the picture and got it larger! You go Scrappy and keep on FMing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've been busy! I like the thread choice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you ladies are really chugging along with the blocks and quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to see you up and running again with Big Bertha and also getting along with some other projects. You'll need to give me a kick along, as I've come to a standstill. Keep it rolling and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that circle quilting is so great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to have been AWOL :-{ Glad you changed thread colour - quilt looks great.

    What *is* it about LA-ing (because we've both done it) that you know a thread choice is wrong, do a little bit more "just in case" and thereby triple the amount of time it takes to unpick? {sigh!}

    ReplyDelete
  11. great quilts! love that circle pattern; been debating a similar one and think I may have to order it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive your comments, so please do leave them and wherever possible I will reply to you by email.

09 10