Sunday 25 September 2016

Where have I been ...

... and what have I been doing there?

Well, here's two pictures that'll give you a clue:
 

The photo on the left shows some of the blocks made at the last meeting of Yorkshire Modern Quilt Group.  Some time ago we decided it would be fun to have a block of the month programme, with a different volunteer member coming up with the block each time.  I volunteered to do the first block, which I have called Tipsy Asterisk. I know I've seen a block like this on the internet, but I can not credit anyone for it as I don't know who first came up with it. (If you know who originally designed it, please let me know so I can give them credit) However, the instructions are all my own work, and I can tell you, it's not easy to explain how to angle the inner part to cut it and end up with your asterisk on the slant! Anyway, this is just some of the blocks that were made on the day.

Then we have the photo on the right. It's not me who is moving, it's my father. This has all happened very quickly. About a month ago I asked him if he would consider going to a brand new care home for a couple of weeks in October while I am on holiday and, as he was happy with idea in theory, I went to have a look at it, and was very pleasantly surprised by it. I obviously did a good job of praising it to Dad, as, the next day, he said he'd like to have a look at it, and if he liked it, he thought he'd move in permanently. So, off we went, and he was so impressed that he made the decision there and then to move in. So, moving in day was set for 1 October. He decided to sell his house, so on the market it went. By the end of the first week of it being for sale he had two offers and a third couple who wanted it but had to sell theirs first. The offer Dad accepted is from a young guy who is a cash purchaser with nothing to sell. All this means that where I thought I'd be able to empty the house, sort out paperwork, work out what was going to various members of the family and what to charity, etc, after my holiday, I have had to do most of it before, as the solicitor thought it could all go through by the end of October.  I get home from my holiday on the 25th! Dad moves out on 1 October, and I'm off to stay with Lovely Lynn again on the 10th and I can hardly wait to see her and Mr Joe again, and at some point I'll be seeing Naughty Nancy too.

So, that's where I've been, and what I've been doing.

10 comments:

  1. Well.....I would say that you have not been bored!! Good luck with his move and sorting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love the Tipsy Asterisk block. Glad your Dad found a place he likes. When I had to move my Mom into a home she fought it all the way. I don't think she ever enjoyed being there. I think I would have enjoyed having someone else cook my meals, clean my room, and bring in entertainment every week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is wonderful that your Dad liked the place enough to make such a decision so quickly to make it permanent, as well as how fast the sale of his home went thru. But I feel for you for all the work it takes to move him. Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way. And I hope you have great fun on your trip.

    QuiltShopGal
    www.quiltshopgal.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh My! Big changes for you! I am sure that all the rush has you feeling pressured and stressed, but on the bright side, how nice that your dad WANTS to make this move and is still able to make this decision for himself. Good luck, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been busy! Great blocks! Enjoy your visit to see Lynn and Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the blocks you all did look god. It will be good that Dad is being cared for and put your mind at rest when you cannt be with him, hopefully the homee is not far from you, do hope he settles well and I am sure he will enjoy the company of others. Have a good holiday Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with your Dad's move and hope you have a fab holiday. You probably need it after all activity!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats of your dad being willing to move. It can be so very hard when they don't and congrats on the sold sign. Really cool block, I'm surprised you even have time for sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW!! You have been a busy girl!! So happy to read about your Dad's move. It can be a huge adjustment, but I know a few who have made the same move and been very, very happy with the new life. Keep movin' it keeps us young!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive your comments, so please do leave them and wherever possible I will reply to you by email.

09 10