Reading clockwise from top left, I started with these and I made these, which didn't work, then I added the orange fabric to the mix and I made this, which worked, followed by this, which worked, sort of.
Try as I might, I just could not make those lovely fabrics work properly in myquilt. My friend J came over to play on Monday, and we spent ages crawling round on the floor trying different combinations of the fabrics, different backgrounds, etc, and nothing worked. We came to the conclusion I had two problems. The first was that the fabrics did not have enough contrast, which I'd already worked out, but also the scale of the patterns on the fabrics were too large. We therefore rejected several, and I was left with about three that would work, plus the background, which isn't exactly going to give me much in the way of scrappiness. (I did see the funny side of that, when you consider I wrote a quilt book called "Pick Four").
So I decided to change direction and try again with my red and blue repro-type fabrics. So far I've made four blocks. I am using a plain cream background throughout, (mainly cos I've got a lot of it, so I don't need to buy anything) and have made four blocks so far.
I know we're only supposed to make Section A, but I couldn't do that, I had to see what they looked like as blocks!, Then, I had to see what they looked like as several blocks laid out together.
I love them, and am having loads of fun with the pattern designed by Lynn at Sew'n Wild Oaks.
If you want to see other people's posts about their Country Charmer adventures, then hop on over to our QAL hostess, Lesley, The Cuddle Quilter, where there is a Linky party going on. I think I'm going to call my version "Charming Plan B".
Just as a little PS: I have promised my friend J that if I ever intend to buy fabrics for another scrappy project, I will take her shopping with me!