Sunday 18 May 2014

Sylvia's quilt ...

Today I am turning the spotlight on a quilter called Sylvia.  Sylvia is a friend of Gail, and Gail is the sister of Lynn.  It seems that Sylvia fell in love with Gail's version of my pattern, 3D Noughts and Crosses and decided she had to make her own.

Apparently, Sylvia started quilting at about age 9 or 10 in Zimbabwe where she used fabric from old, worn out clothes.  She learned to sew in school and it was all done by hand!  She learned more from the missionaries at the mission hospital in the bush when she was there at about age 17 but didn't have a sewing machine until she came to the US in 1988.  Gail asked Sylvia about her colour choices for her quilt and apparently purple is her favourite colour and if you enlarge the photo you will see that all the fabrics have purple in them to some extent.

I think this is a stunning quilt, thank you Sylvia for making it and also for allowing me to show it on my blog.

11 comments:

  1. A wonderful story and a lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must love seeing your designs in all their different versions. This one is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those colours certainly do it justice and I keep thinking about doing this one some day. What a clever lady, handsewing a quilt a such a young age. Well done. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous quilt and great story. We forget that not all of us were fortunate enough to have a sewing machine available so we made do by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice quilt. Thank you for sharing her story. Makes me grateful for how good we have it here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. colours have worked so well, glad you were able to share this with us

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sylvia's quilt is quite stunning. Purple is my favorite color. Always nice to see your pattern in different colorways.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - Sylvia has quite a story, Sue! Her version of your quilt is stunning!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just fabulous!!! I know it just makes your heart burst when someone makes your pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for posting the photo of my friend Sylvia's quilt, Sue. I know she will be thrilled! I just sent her an e-mail with a link to your blog. She loves this quilt! I know she will display it in a prominent place in her home. I love her quilt as much as my own version! Thank you for creating such a beautiful pattern which Sylvia and I will both enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sylvia has had a very interesting life. She has done so much for the members of her family. She is a good person, with a good heart and warm smile. Sylvia loves quilting and thoroughly enjoyed making your pattern Sue. A great story.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive your comments, so please do leave them and wherever possible I will reply to you by email.

09 10