Sunday 19 May 2013

Bloggers' Quilt Festival, part two.

Here I am again, this time with my entry for the bed quilts category of Amy's quilt festival.

This quilt started as a mystery quilt from a shop in the UK.  I am sorry, I can't remember the name of the designer, but it may have been Debbie Caffrey.

When I had finished the centre I really, really did not like this quilt. So, it got put away, and it languished at the back of a cupboard for about 5 years, unloved, and unwanted.  Then one day, it jumped out of the cupboard, yelling "Look at me.  Look at me"  So I looked.  Then I fell in love with it and had to finish it.

Once I had finished making the blocks for the centre, I knew I wanted it to be a bigger quilt than it was originally meant to be, but that gave me a problem.  I did not have any fabric left over from the blocks to make any more, so I was going to have to add borders.  Another problem - I had bought the fabrics a long time ago, and they were no longer available.  So, off I went to the LQS, blocks in hand, to see if I could find anything similar.  How lucky was I?  Look, I found some tone-on-tone fabrics that were almost a perfect mix, so I put borders on and finished the quilt.

Here's a close-up of the quilting, which also helps to show off the close match of the border fabrics.

I used a plain fabric on the back, which I usually do as that means I have 2 quilts for the price of one, the backing looking just like a wholecloth quilt.
I love this side of the quilt too.

Quilt Stats:
  • quilt size: king size
  • quilted using a pale yellow thread with a 4-leaf clover all over pattern with the help of Big Bertha and my robotic LA system.
To see the other quilts in the Bed quilts category, and to choose your favourite for the Viewers' Choice quilt, just go here.


11 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! How lucky that the right mix of fabrics was waiting for you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great and I've done a few Debbie Caffrey Mystery quilts. Hope you get lots of votes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, it is fabulous! Sure glad you pulled it out of your closet and finished it! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's very pretty. I'm glad you gave it a second chance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pattern! Love the colors! Great quilt! Very pretty, Great work, Well done! Thank you for sharing.

    Have a super great sewing and stitching day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a quilt that was meant to be, Sue! It's gorgeous!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Sue! Mystery quilts scare me. Yours is one to fall in love with!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's beautiful Sue and I'm glad you finished it in the end! I love your Crazy Christmas Trees too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you are really a good webmaster. The website loading speed is amazing. It seems that youre doing any unique trick. Also, The contents are masterwork. youve done a magnificent job on this topic!
    I’m not certain where you are getting your info, but good topic. I need to spend some time learning more or figuring out more. Thank you for magnificent info I used to be searching for this info for my mission.
    Cccam Server | Cardsharing | Cardsharing Server | Dreambox Cccam | Dreambox Cardsharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely, just lovely. I can see that you really do like it - which is too bad cause I would have told you to send to me - I love it. It's perfect.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive your comments, so please do leave them and wherever possible I will reply to you by email.

09 10