Tuesday 22 April 2014

NOW what's her excuse ...

... for her silence you're all wondering aren't you?  Well, I've had a virus.  Strictly speaking, I haven't had one, but my computer has.

Yes, my lovely, shiny new laptop got infected.  This virus is actually a browser hijacker, which, once it's in, overwrites the default search settings on the computer and sends you off to some very dodgy sites instead, so whilst it doesn't actually steal my information or anything, it can send me to sites that might.  This is also a piece of malware which changes itself so that virus scanners such as AVG, which I use and Malwarebytes, which I also use (did I hear someone mention belts and braces just then?) do not detect this nasty little thing.

There are symptoms that tell you you've caught the virus though.  You might notice that your default search engine is changed or you are frequently being told the site you want can't be found.  I found it by accident when I noticed that a lot of sites were taking an age to load and if I looked at the bottom left hand side of my screen it said "waiting for partner18.myadvisor,com".  I then googled and was not happy at what I found out.

There are several ways of getting rid of it.  The first is to try running a virus scan, but that's unlikely to do any good.  The next is to start changing your computer systems files, but I didn't feel confident in doing that.  The fairly drastic version is to do a complete factory reset of the computer. Since mine is quite new, I wouldn't lose anything (except my time), so this is the option I went for.  The final solution is to pay a man to do it for you.  Downloading the current version of Windows 8.1 took an age (4.5 hours) plus about the same to do the 93 updates, so that was a whole day.  Then I had to reinstall all my own programs, run scans, check everything worked OK and so on.  I finished installing the final bit of sorftware this morning, and here I am again.

So that's my excuse.

12 comments:

  1. Uh, oh....something strange has been happening every time I open my MSN email these days, Sue. Thanks for this post. I'll be investigating right away!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is I pay a good amount for security that I better not get a virus. You sound like an expert on the one that infected your laptop. Glad you're back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry. Check out ESET as a security system (I also use with Malwarebytes). I like how you can also work with them when something new has popped up and they are pretty fast at creating a solution when it does (but typically they are on top of it). I'm currently working with them on that email virus going around (Have you seen this ? with a link in the message).

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, poor computer. I'm glad you got on top of it and I do hope it's not catching as even though you've explained it, I'd be completely lost. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nightmare!!! Glad it is now sorted out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you found a solution! I've used a Mac for years and they seem to be less virus prone for some reason. Very scary though! Glad it's all better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too bad the fools who write the nasty virus(s) cannot be happy with an honest job. Glad you are back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh noooooo....get well soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Computer problems are the worst. Especially all the time it takes to fix the problems when you could be sewing instead. Grrrr

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done for getting your laptop clean and fixed.

    We use Kaspersky on the PCs and Sophos on the Mac ... fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. sounds very nasty, mine is very slow too but put that down to being 5 years old, will keep in mind what yo have said.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry to hear of your tech problems. We love our technology, but it can cause problems. Glad that you've got it sorted out.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive your comments, so please do leave them and wherever possible I will reply to you by email.

09 10