Wednesday 1 October 2014

You couldn't make this up ...

... My father has decided to apply for a Blue Badge which would then allow any car he is travelling in to park in designated disabled parking places.  He is now over 90, with a dodgy heart and has difficulty in walking more than about 20 yards without needing to stop and rest.  In order to get this badge, he has to attend an assessment.  With me so far?

OK, so he makes an appointment for this assessment, which will be in mid-November (good job this isn't urgent then isn't it?).  When the confirmation letter arrives, it also tells him that the assessment centre is moving from it's current location to a place right, slap bang in the middle of the Big Scary City.  (You know, where I don't drive if I can possibly help it cos it's big and busy and scary, and they keep changing the one way system so I get lost.) Helpfully they also include directions on how to get there.  They read something like this, with my comments in italics:
  1. if you are coming by car, please note there is no on-road parking nearby, however there is a multi-story car-park fairly near. (remember this is in the city centre and the chances of there being any spaces at all is so remote that it's not even worth trying)
  2. if you are coming by bus, the bus station is a 10-minute walk away (what?)
  3. if you are coming by train, the railway station is a 20-minute walk away (whaaaattt???)
We decided that getting there is actually the assessment - if you arrive at their office, you are reasonably fit and don't need a Blue Badge.  We had to laugh really at how well thought out this plan of moving into the City centre was.

It's almost as good as an assessment centre my sister had to attend a few years ago.  She is in a wheelchair, and my father had taken her to the appointment.  When they got there, the entrance to the building was via some steps.  No ramp or anything.  Dad had to ask a couple of strong-looking guys to get her up those steps.  Another well thought-out plan. Ain't bureaucracy grand?

16 comments:

  1. Wild! I hope he tells them he can't possibly make it due to his disability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. All my mother-in-law had to do was to ask her doctor. The doctor filled in the forms and signed it, and faxed it in. Good luck to you--seems a bit much to expect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know...thinking is painful for some...if they pass the assessment they get a government job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. who stupid the system is when we got one for Mum it was just a letter needed from her Doctor, mind you that was about 12 years ago, we lost her in 2006 and it was Manchester not Leeds. Have you had a word with the Doctor he might be able to do the forms etc

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps they failed to mention the helipad on the roof! Sometimes once simply has to laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had my Blue Badge assessment yesterday and have sympathy. However, I would like to make the point that what used to be a local/County scheme is now National with fewer assessment centres and that the Staff are not happy either.
    If I were you, I'd write to my local councillor and your father's too and ask that the Assessment Centre provide at least one (or two) disabled spaces at the centre. (Which is what happened yesterday)
    Be aware that assessment will take about an hour and involve a lot of questions and a walking test and take all the walking aids he uses with you. Remember the aim is to do badly which is rather the reverse of most tests!
    The doctor signed for Blue Badge is no longer available because some doctors were too generous! No-one I know has failed an assessment if they genuinely need one.

    Good luck.

    PS It will be 2- 3 weeks before I know whether my Blue Badge will be renewed - the guidelines are more stringent than even 3 years ago when I was last issued with one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is crazy. It's easier here to get a parking permit but spaces are limited and sometimes get taken by cars without permits. So you see people parking in the fire lanes to let out their elderly passenger. Good luck and bring taxi money.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your governmental system sounds like ours! They are both screwed up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear!!! Who makes these rules anyway????

    ReplyDelete
  10. My MIL always says 'its he+ll getting old' and I think even worse when you live in a city with these rules! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Having had his Blue badge for 3 years, when he came to renew it he was turned down and had to appeal, he got his G.P to write in as well. The system is daft!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Someone didn't think this through. I agree with Mad about Craft, the system is daft.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ROFL I agree if you can make it to the assessment you don't need the blue badge.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yep....sometimes I think they plan these things out to cause us so must stress to make us just throw up our hands and quit....

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think Barb is correct! My dad just got his blue badge...he's 93 with heart and back problems. Thankfully his doctor just had to fill out a form and my dad had to take it to the Senior Center to get the blue badge. Hope your dad makes it!! Please let us know!! And yes, anything run by the government is daft!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your story is funny, but not funny.....he is not trying to be a brain surgeon....just trying to get a parking pass......yikes

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive your comments, so please do leave them and wherever possible I will reply to you by email.

09 10