Monday 22 October 2012

What is it ...


... with builders?  I thought there was a recession on?  I thought builders were desperate for work?  Well, now I think I'm wrong.  A few weeks ago Dad decided he needed to make some lifestyle changes, so first he debated about moving into sheltered accommodation  but then changed his mind.  The main problem he has is with the stairs in his house, so the next idea was to build a downstairs bedroom and en-suite.  So I get on the phone to arrange for a builder to come and give a quote.  He finally turned up (a day or so late!), spent a few minutes with us, then went away promising to let us have a quote within 3 days.  Well, 7 days later, still no quote, so I phoned him.  The quote would be with us in a day or so.  Hmm.  Yep, you guessed it.  It finally arrived about a week later, and was ridiculously high.  So it was time for another rethink.  Since the stairs are the problem, why not just have a stairlift installed?  More appointments, more quotations, decision made and the lift will be installed in a couple of weeks.

We've also been getting quotes to have solar panels installed on our roof, and they should be fitted on Thursday (or is it Friday?) this week.

In addition to that, this weekend Mr Fixit celebrated a birthday.  I can't tell you which birthday it was, but the numbers include a zero and a seven.



Tomorrow I will be back to tell you about the workshop I taught last week, and about my plans for this weekend.

10 comments:

  1. Yep, it seems like another quote or two would be in order. I once visited a car dealership for some repairs and I learned how they treat women, so they lost out by just that view into something I'm sure they never dreamed would sabotage their paid advertising. You would think the builder would say something like I'm too busy to take on any new projects. I hate how they get something started and then go to another site and slow down three or more projects at once, rather than just doing one to completion! Oh my! Good luck!

    Happy Birthday to Mr. Fixit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a good thing you did not start with that builder. He probably would have started the job and then left you hanging. It is incredible how expensive builders are. I know there is materials, but they charge exorbitant prices for their labor. We had someone come haul off some trash, not a skilled guy you understand, but I could not believe the bill!! JUST TO LOAD AND HAUL IT OFF!! Happy birthday to your guy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the previous comment. Wonder if the contractor would hold you up just as badly after he got the job?

    Happy birthday to Mr. Fixit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you found a solution for your dad that didn't include the flaky contractor.

    Happy Birthday, to Mr. Fixit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to Mr. Fixit! My husband was a carpenter by trade and so when we built our home many many years ago he was smart enough to have the sub contractors and builders sign a contract that they would finish by a certain date and if not....$ was discounted on each late day. Worked like a charm. Still took us a year and a half to get it done. I sure miss that house! By the way....love the tree quilt. I've always wanted to make one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear of all the problems. Hope everything gets sorted out sooner than later. Guess you just might have to do some quilting to take your mind off construction issues, right? Happy Birthday to your guy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My goodness, what a week you're having.

    Are you sue you want to be invaded at the weekend as well?

    Happy birthday to the big man :}

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad a solution has been found for your Dad. And Happy Birthday to Mr Fixit! looking forward to your weekend plans :) Must be something good based on Bilbo's comment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh boy a nice welcome birthday there. How about Mr. Fixit and round of applause for him?

    I adore the stair lift idea, it has been a favorite concept of mine for a while, but my stairs are all spread out, one, down two over there. Not sure what was up with your builder as well. Maybe a second opinion? At least around here many businesses will quote you high if they're busy or would rather not do your job. Though I echo you with, isn't work good, anything that you're being paid to do??

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive your comments, so please do leave them and wherever possible I will reply to you by email.

09 10