Tuesday 9 June 2009

Good news, bad news and a good book

Today I have had some great news. Popular Patchwork magazine are going to publish my pattern for Leaves Around the Cabins, probably in September. I am VERY excited about that. They are also interested in an article from me about my "hands-free" quilting system, so I am going to have to get writing again for that.

The bad news is that the DVLA have finally come to life again. Boo. When Colin was first diagnosed with his sleep apnoea thing, he was told he MUST tell the DVLA and that they might suspend his driving licence until his consultant said it was under control. Well, being a good, law-abiding citizen, he did just that. After filling in 3 forms in quick succession, he has heard nothing from them now for a couple of months. Until today. Our doctor's receptionist rang to say the GP needs to see him tomorrow, as he has had a form now from the DVLA and they need to fill it in and discuss it. He has an appointment for tomorrow mid-morning, so keep your fingers crossed that they're not taking his licence away.

On a more positive note, I am about to go and put Raspberries & Cream on the frame ready to start quilting. I have today checked all the patterns, cos some of them are my derivatives of other patterns, and also I am using different threads, so needed to check tension too. All being well, I'll start that one tomorrow.

I had a new book delivered today, courtesy of Mr Amazon.co.uk. Those of you who know me will know it's not at all my usual sort of thing. It's called Scrap-Basket Surprises by Kim Brackett, who is a follower of my blog, and is from Magnolia Bay Quilts. This book has made me start itching to go sort through my fabrics, or maybe go buy a jellyroll (or 2) and start piecing. If you get a chance, have a look at it on Amazon to see the quilts in it - yes even you Sewali!

7 comments:

  1. Controlled scrappy, yes I can just about deal with that :o). I can see why you've bought the book, I'll add it to my wishlist and have a think about it ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fingers crossed for Colin ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the crossed fingers Sewali. As for the book, I promise you it's great. You know that if I like it, it really must have thos scraps well under control!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! That's exciting news about your Leaves Around the Cabin quilt. I'll be on the lookout for it.

    Thanks so much for your kind words about my book. I hope you enjoy it.

    Good luck to Colin tomorrow. Let us know how it works out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope Colin gets on Ok at the Docs, Sue. It gets to be a trial when you are the only driver - I have a couple of friends who are and they both find it trying.

    Good luck with 'raspberrys and cream' on Big bertha - hope you manage to get the tension right first time today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely have my fingers crossed. Very exciting news about your quilt. You asked about my Scrappy Stars quilt...it is from a book. I'll see if I can find it! The quilt was started over 4 years ago and I have copied pages I am working from.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the magazine articles, I know how much work goes into them, way more than people realise.

    Fingers crossed for Colin.

    Interesting book - if you look at it on Amazon and click the "more images" link it will show you a pic of every quilt in the book, look forward to seeing what you make

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive your comments, so please do leave them and wherever possible I will reply to you by email.

09 10