Sunday 6 March 2011

Yesterday I was dyeing ...

... when I went to a workshop run by my friend QuiltHaze, from Cotton Cocktails.  Fabric dyeing is something I've always wanted to have a go at, but although  Hazel has run this workshop about 3 times before, she always managed to arrange them on days when I couldn't go.  (Hmm, I wonder if that was deliberate?).  There were 10 of us there, and it was great fun, if messy.
 But this:
Leads to this:
 and this:
 which leads to this:

  
(and this is what the colour catchers looked like after I washed the fabrics!)
 In the afternoon we all tried our hands at dyeing silk scarves, and here are some of the group modelling the results:
 and these are the 2 scarves I produced:
I came home very tired (well I had been using my brain, which is not something I'm used to), with very dirty hands, cos I kept forgetting to put my rubber gloves on, but very happy.  I love the results of the fabric dyeing, but I don't think it's something I'd want to do a lot of, but I will definitely do some more silk scarf dyeing.

You can always pop over to Cotton Cocktail's blog to read the story from the point of view of the teacher.

23 comments:

  1. How fun! The fabrics are really pretty. And so are the silk scarves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like fun! I love those silk scarves. Just been over to Cotton Cocktails for more pics...mmmm you are so camera shy!! LOL. Looks like you had a good fun packed day. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does look like alot of fun but hard work too....love the results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How completely fun and adventurous!!! What a great blog post and the title cracked me up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to dye yarn but not sure I'd like fabric dyeing. Dyeing scarfs sounds very appealing though. It's a messy business but so much fun. I had blue and green fingers for a job interview once......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue, looks like fun times. However, I did stop by the teachers blog and found you may have been the life of the party! I really love the silk scarfs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The silk scarves are the cat's meow. You have an instant wearable item, and I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw the pics on Cotton cocktails post. It looked like a lot of fun. Your scarves are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I already read Cotton Cocktails and it looked to me like there was a certain student who was misbehaving!! I tell ya' there is one in every class! :o)
    Glad you had fun...and your scarves are lovely!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have tried using different types of fabric dye two or three times in a class type setting. Fun to play but not something I want to do on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your scarves are lovely. I bet you had a wonderful time. I once dyed the dog purple when I accidentally spilled dye on him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how I would have enjoyed joining you, Hazel and others. What fun. Love your hand dyed fabrics too. Great job.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love to hand dye fabrics!! It is so fun, isn't it?

    I have a TON of hand dyes on hand. I am forcing myself to use them before dying more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely story and pic's. Sounds like a great time with beautiful scarves being produced! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What yummy fabrics! I love fabric dying, but it's definitely something to do in someone else's workroom :o).

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll bet you girls had a great day. Your scarves are beautiful Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your scarves are so pretty! I love the colors!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful array of colors! To bad I can't go to one of those little outings and get my on batch of pretties! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful! What messy fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like you had a great time! Now what to do with all that fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  21. How fun!! That's something I have always wanted to try.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful scarves! I've always wanted to try dyeing fabric. Not sure I would like the mess though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks like so much fun, and the scarves are lovely!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive your comments, so please do leave them and wherever possible I will reply to you by email.

09 10