Tuesday 3 February 2015

Pardon?

Here's a good example of how crazy technology can be.  My laptop insists that I have a password to access anything when I start it up or wake it from a sleep.  OK, that's not a problem.  At least, it wasn't until a few days ago.  Then, I typed in my password in the morning and was told it was incorrect, so I tried it again.  Same result.  Try again. Still no good.  (Incidentally, I had not done anything to change the password, nor had I mistyped it.)  So, what to do?

Well, Microsoft were very thoughtful, and up pops a message telling me I need to reset my password.  Mutter, mumble, grumble, says I.  Then I read the rest of the message on the screen.  To reset your password, visit www.whatever-the-address-was.com.

Sorry?  How do I do that when I am locked out?  How ridiculous.  Luckily, this laptop is not the only computer in the house, so I was able to access my account and change the password, but really?  There are households with only one computer in.  How are they supposed to do it?  Another well thought out plan by those-who-would-control-us I think.

I also think I must be turning into a Grumpy Old Woman. I blame my bad back which has been playing up again.  (Makes a change from me moaning on about gout doesn't it?)

8 comments:

  1. I think I would be concerned that I had some type of virus or mal-ware on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I asked a computer guy that very question quite some time ago. He said to take the battery out and leave it out an hour or so and then put it back in. Never tried it so I don't know if it would work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the first comment. How can your password suddenly not work? That is alright we all have our crotchety days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Technology certainly gets the better of me at times and then I can't be bothered with it for a few days, then its catchup with all my blogs, like today for instance. It's mainly my email just lately for some reason, but it's offputting. Hope all is right again and do hope the back soon feels better. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, I'm with Mad About - passwords don't 'suddenly' stop working. There are systems in existence which, for extra security, force you to change a password every month (or whatever time-scale is set) but your laptop is not likely to be one of them.

    Hope you get sorted out (and just in case, you DO regularly backup all your non-operating-system files, don't you?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we have all been there...and being grumpy is so normal with all this techy stuff we have to contend with! Rest and hope your back issues will soon be behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's why I refuse to put a password on my computer to start it or wake it up. Yes, I do have a tablet and an iPhone that will both do internet, but I can't see that little print or type properly with the tiny keyboards (gotta love auto-correct with texting!). It would seem that you have had a program attack your computer and if you use the same password for any online account, I would change it immediately. As lovely as computers and the internet are, they have made us vulnerable in ways honest people don't even think about...until they are forced to!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive your comments, so please do leave them and wherever possible I will reply to you by email.

09 10