Before I tell you anything more about the area we're visiting today, I'd just like to introduce you all to our driver for the rest of the tour.
When I was planning this trip, I asked Trudi about the city where she lives, and this is what she told me:
"It's a 14th Century cathedral city on a bloomin great hill! Old world cobbled charm, killer on the heels!"So that gives us an idea of the area, and here's a few other things about it:
- John Hurt went to school there, Alfred Lord Tennyson born nearby and Margaret Thatcher was born and raised above a grocer’s shop in Grantham.
- Those born in Lincolnshire are sometimes called Yellowbellies, which is often spelt "Yeller Bellies", to reflect the pronunciation of the phrase by the typical Lincolnshire farm. The origin of this term is debated, but is most commonly believed to derive from the uniforms of the LincolnshireRegiment who wore a very bright yellow waistcoat for identification on the battle field.
- The famous Lincolnshire sausage comes from this area. Most butchers have their own secret recipe for these and a competition is held each year to judge the best sausages in the county.
Now, the tour is almost over, but here is the itinerary again, and some of the stops are still giving away copies of the book, so don't forget to visit them all.
- Wed 24 Aug - Hazel's Quilts (giveaway won by Janet)
- Thurs 25 Aug - Quilt Hollow (giveaway won by Kristen)
- Fri 26 Aug - Silver Thimble (giveaway won by Grendelskin)
- Saturday - Magnolia Bay Quilts (giveaway won by Happy Cottage Quilter)
- Sun 28 Aug - Bejewelled Quilts by Barb (giveaway open until Fri 3 Sep)
- Mon 29 Aug - Insights from SewCalGal (giveaway open until Sun 4 Sep)
- Tues 30 Aug - Sew'n Wild Oaks (giveaway open until Sat 3 Sep)
- Wed 31 Aug - Sweet P Quilting (giveaway open until Sat Sep 3)
- Today - Quilting Prolifically
- Fri 2 Sep - Cotton Cocktails